#1 06.12.2007 15:06:31

Hellawyn
Membre

ENGLISH topic

Well... I adore english, and perhaps I am not the only one on this website ... ? Therefore, I thought I could create a topic wher we speak in english (only)... ? I first wanted to create a topic where we could speak in the laguage that we chose, but not everybody understand german, spanish, italian, finnish, or others...

However, mistakes are allowed. We are not at school, we just try to speak in the most comprehensive way to be understood by others.

Well, let's go !
And I hope I am not the only english-fan there ! wink

"I am not young enough to know everything." (Oscar Wilde)

#2 06.12.2007 15:14:47

Argonarz
Ver momètre

ENGLISH topic

Hellawyn a écrit

...but not everybody understand german, spanish, italian, finnish, or others...

I understand german smile but just few words.........but better like spanish or italian.....
I think I'm not an "english-fan", but I like watch movies in original version. I don't speak english very well, that's why I make many mistakes....

Talk to Ced, he may speack english very well (and maybe gaelic ?)

smile

Soyez le changement que vous voulez voir dans le monde. (Gandhi)
Le drame de notre temps, c'est que la bêtise se soit mise à penser. (J. Cocteau)
smile

#3 06.12.2007 15:20:25

Tiépo
Man Faye Gang Don

ENGLISH topic

Memorable quotes :

Jake La Motta: Did you fuck my wife ?
Joey LaMotta: What ?
Jake La Motta: Did you fuck my wife ?
Joey LaMotta: [pauses] How do you ask me that ? I'm your brother and you ask me that ? Where do you get you're balls big enough to ask me that ?
Jake La Motta: I'm gonna ask you again, did you or didn't you ? Just answer the question.
Joey LaMotta: I'm not gonna answer that. It's stupid. It's a sick question and you're a sick fuck and I'm not that sick that I'm gonna answer it. I'm leaving, If Nora calls tell her I went home. You know what you should do? Do a little more fucking and a little less eating, so you don't have to blame it all on me and everybody else, you understand me? You're cracking up! Ya' fucking screw ball ya'!

happy_crying.gif

Proverbe congolais : Là où il y a du poil, il y a de la joie.

#4 06.12.2007 15:21:38

Hellawyn
Membre

ENGLISH topic

He francis be welcome there, don't worry... ^^

Indeed, I prefer films in original version than in french (when it is an italian film, or an english one, for instance). And if somebody wants to read something great in english, read Jane Austen's novels. It is the most perfect english I have never read ! yikes

(except the very famous one : William Shakespeare)

Dernière modification par Hellawyn (06.12.2007 15:22:07)

#5 06.12.2007 15:25:17

Ced
Ver de Éire
Lieu Dublin

ENGLISH topic

Hellawyn a écrit

And I hope I am not the only english-fan there ! wink

Well, i can't be an English fan (no insult please! mad), but let's start with it though... wink
Halloween, happy to see that you made it anyway...

And if i can had something too... French, Belgian, German, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese and whatever the language people speak are welcome : not so sure that there is too much people interested in the English language (which is something i definitely understand! smile ), and even if there are a few bastards who try to make people convinced that English is the only language handy to communicate, this is absolutely not true at all. There are also other languages in the World, so don't restrict it to this single language.
And by the way, that's the Spanish which is the most spoken... smile

Myself, i would like to learn loads of different expressions/facts that i could use when i travel in different countries... I speak a bit of Spanish and German, few words in Breton (not really useful but part of the culture!) and i can understand much more of the Portuguese and Italian.
so my request is a bit like an Irish friend of me who can say in almost 25 different languages 'le singe est dans l'arbre'. But, well... not really useful for a normal talk, isn't it? So i would like more... What do you think 'bout that?

Please... Help meeeeeeeeee! smile

Argonarz a écrit

Talk to Ced, he may speack english very well (and maybe gaelic ?)

Not a word, except the basic stuff like 'sláinte'
... for the English, i try as i can!

Dernière modification par Ced (06.12.2007 15:32:30)

'Ils ne sont grands que parce que nous sommes à genoux.' (Etienne de La Boétie)
                        'Soyez réaliste, demandez l'impossible' (Ernesto Guevara)
'Bien heureux les langues de p****.'(Jésus - Le Troisième Evangile selon St Emilion, verseZ 8.6)
Smile, you're on CCTV!

#6 06.12.2007 15:42:09

Phallus magique
Lombruik

ENGLISH topic

Apple, apple, apple, apple pie !

Chapter one. Lesson Two. Dave and Vanessa are going out to do some sport.
Dave likes playing baseball, but Vanessa prefers to run with Nap', their dog, in the St-James park.
Nap', is the diminutive for Napoleon, the famous French military and political leader.
He is kinda smart, and loves to hide in the bushes.

So, what is your favourite sport ?

drgbag7.png

#7 06.12.2007 15:43:21

Hellawyn
Membre

ENGLISH topic

Excuse me, Ced... I am so sorry, because it is not the first time I forget this .. detail. i had a friend, who is Irish, and he could not stand hearing me when I said "well, you speak very well english, you...". sad So, please, forgive my "insulted" words. I can not help it...! :S

The sport I like the most is (without any doubt) : the bedsport. big_smile
No, I'm kidding...
I like so much swimming ! yikes

Dernière modification par Hellawyn (06.12.2007 15:44:57)

#8 06.12.2007 15:59:06

Ced
Ver de Éire
Lieu Dublin

ENGLISH topic

Well... that was a joke! (not really funny apparently!).
I've got a lot of English friends and even part of my family!
And also some American friends, so you can see that i'm not so closed mind... Well, not that much anyway!...

I don't really care about the origins.
(maybe because most of my life has been spent in France! big_smile )
... and i don't think i speak really good English. I probably speak better French even, so you can imagine... A bit of 'mixed-up' in a small head.

Edit: 'Bedsport'?

Dernière modification par Ced (06.12.2007 16:00:13)

'Bien heureux les langues de p****.'(Jésus - Le Troisième Evangile selon St Emilion, verseZ 8.6)
Smile, you're on CCTV!

#9 06.12.2007 16:13:30

Hellawyn
Membre

ENGLISH topic

Bedsport, in french : "sport de chambre". I think it is not a good idea to write the definition... except if you ask me to do that... ^^

#10 06.12.2007 16:43:38

Candlejack
Membre

ENGLISH topic

This thread is a pretty good idea, in my opinion. Le Lombrik francis now be called The Lombreek big_smile

Just like Hellawyn, I love to watch my movies and TV shows in original version, which is more often in english. In some cases when the movie are easy to understand, I francis not add subtitles and try to understand by myself.

I like to browse some forums or imageboards in english, like 4chan or bash.org. I think that the english is a pretty language, with pleasant intonations, with a kind of musicality.

#11 06.12.2007 16:58:07

Hellawyn
Membre

ENGLISH topic

I like your description, Candlejack ! Actually, english language HAS a muscicality ! ^^ Indeed, without this music in the words, Shakespeare could not be as a good writer as he was. The Shakespearian theatre is based on musical verses. An example ?
"The God of Love,
That sits above
And knows me, and knows me
How pitiful I deserve"
[Benedick in W. Shakespeare's novel Much ado about nothing]

There is something like music in this few words, isn't it ? ^^

#12 06.12.2007 17:22:37

pd le worm
Lombric chauvin

ENGLISH topic

euh, wail, ello,  aii am a inglish studante  in  lyon and yme louking feur friands

#13 06.12.2007 17:35:16

éléa
Membre

ENGLISH topic

Happy to share with you the latest expression I have learn : LMTO, it means Laughing My Teets Off (jai tellement rigolé que mes s... tombent par terre).
Shame on me.

Another one : today I shop till I drop (j'ai fait du shopping à en tomber raide au sol)
What else, like most of us I'd rather like speak english after two pints big_smile
I feel more comfortable...

Dernière modification par éléa (06.12.2007 17:36:08)

La plupart du temps on imagine avoir le choix, la vérité est toute autre. La vérité est beaucoup moins drôle.

#14 06.12.2007 17:41:32

Elmüt
Lombric honteux

ENGLISH topic

She sells sea shells by the sea shore
The shells she sells are surely sea shells
So if she sells shells on the seashore
I'm sure she sells seashore shells
(Maybe "shelves" and not "shells")
Repeter le plus vite possible (Je suis pas encore assez bon pour dire ça big_smile)

#15 06.12.2007 18:05:18

Ced
Ver de Éire
Lieu Dublin

ENGLISH topic

éléa a écrit

Happy to share with you the latest expression I have learn : LMTO, it means Laughing My Teets Off (jai tellement rigolé que mes s... tombent par terre).

Tits, i would say... wink

Smile, you're on CCTV!

#16 06.12.2007 18:22:05

naine de jardine
Lombrique facile

ENGLISH topic

a good idea... we can work and have fun here...
but I prefer the other languages (german, italian, spanish). I can speak in enlish, italian and german and just understand spanish (and I don't know why...). I think italian and spanish are more musical than english and german and I enjoy that.
In my opinion, that is very important about the learning of a new language is the cultur, because the customs, the history is very interessant (I think) and it can help to learn the language. If we forget that a language is spoken by people who are different, it is useless.
Moreover, the discovering of new countries is pleasant...
Last summer, I met an spanish boy in italian, this metting is good... The first time we spoke on msn, it was in english because we thought it was less difficult, but now, we speak with our language, and finally, we understand better... I think it's a good experience!

Now you know every thing about me... yikes

edit: yes it's a mistake...sorry

Dernière modification par naine de jardine (06.12.2007 18:54:18)

"Le passé nous retient, l'avenir nous tourmente, et c'est pour ça que le présent nous échappe"

#17 06.12.2007 18:25:03

DSS
Petit bonhomme en mousse

ENGLISH topic

Oh yeaaaaaaaaaah ^^

I hope i francis increase my english skill big_smile
I want to speak perfectly english. Perfekteuly I said !

1400627139.png
c7e994b399114ce9ac9dee1beea323c0.jpg
The world francis look up and shout "Save us!". And I'll whisper "No."

#18 06.12.2007 18:29:08

Elmüt
Lombric honteux

ENGLISH topic

naine de jardine a écrit

(...) it was in english because we thank it was less difficult .......

When you say "thank" you mean the simple past of think ? It's thougt I think no?

#19 06.12.2007 18:32:53

Hellawyn
Membre

ENGLISH topic

yes, elmüt : it is thought.

well, some people seem to like german... we can speak in german if you wish it.

Wilkommen Deutschen ! wink

#20 06.12.2007 18:42:19

Kwell
Lombric choupitrognon

ENGLISH topic

Ced a écrit
éléa a écrit

Tits, i would say... wink

Haha, first I thought "teeth", but it seemed a bit strange big_smile

Personally, I really love english, I think it's really "musical", as it was said, and it really fits in songs or anything.
I receive every day a strip of Garfield (in english, of course). Pleasant way to improve my english, just like visiting websites as bash.org, and traducing english songs.
By the way, I had an English test, just this morning. About a peacelike mongoose and his folks. Flabergasting (don't really know how to spell this word, and if it really exists big_smile).

Pied de page du Forum